OTHER WAYS TO SAY – ‘I don’t understand.’
When you have difficulties about understanding – it is usual, and you shouldn’t be afraid of that. It is a common experience for native speakers, too.
People don’t always express their ideas clearly. It’s not always about your English level.
- I’m sorry. I don’t get it.
- I didn’t quite catch that.
- Sorry, I don’t follow, would you mind rephrasing the question?
- I’m sorry. I missed that.
- Sorry, could you repeat that?
So, if you need some clarification for what you just heard, you can use phrases like:
- So just to confirm I understood…
- If I understand correctly, you saying that…
- Could you please be more specific?
- Sorry, what did you mean by that?
*‘What do you mean?’ is quite a direct question so it will sound impolite.