1. ABILITY – Can, Could
– David can speak three languages.
– He could speak fluent English when he was 5.
2. PERMISSION – Can, Could, May
– Can I sit that chair please?
– Could I open the window?
– May I borrow your dictionary?
3. ADVICE- Should
– You should visit your dentist at least twice a year.
– You should try to communicate more in English.
4. OBLIGATION- Must, Have to
– I must follow our company’s rules and regulations.
– You have to respect elders.
5. POSSIBILITY- Might, May, Could, Can
– It looks nice, but it might be very expensive.
– Richard may be coming to see us tomorrow.